Praga. The non reconstructed Warsaw

Praga. The non reconstructed Warsaw

 

In 1953 began the reconstruction of the historical center of Warsaw, devastated in the Second World War,

the symbol of the resistance against the Nazionalsocialist army. The public works did not have only a utilitarian

function, they had  to return the identity to the capital of the country and overcome  a traumatic period.

In order to try to resemble the new constructions to a period  between the XIII to the XX, paintings and pictures

of the time were used. The Prague district, on the other side of the Vistula river, sheltered under the Soviet

entrenchments, was not occupied; and its buildings are preserved as they have been since the 19th century.

 


En 1953 se inició la reconstrucción del centro histórico de Varsovia,  arrasado tras la Segunda Guerra Mundial,

y símbolo de la resistencia ante las tropas nazionalsocialistas. Las obras no tenían únicamente una función utilitaria,

sino que debían devolver la identidad a la capital del país y superar un período traumático.

Para tratar de asemejar las nuevas construcciones a un período  comprendido entre el XIII hasta el XX,

se utilizaron pinturas y cuadros de la época. El barrio Praga, al otro lado del río Vistula, cobijado bajo las trincheras

soviéticas, no fue ocupado; y sus edificios se conservan tal y como eran en el siglo XIX.